As you grow in your academic writing skills and experience, it is good to know that it is not just enough to draft excellent materials. A great essay is not just judged by the quality of the materials you use to compose it only, no. It is also determined by how you format those ideas into a body of details that conform to academic principles. Academic styles are some of the tools that embody those principles so that students can approach their assignment in a uniform and structured manner. With that in mind, we bring you our guide that contains some of the most popularly used academic writing styles. As you go through the guide, you will learn how best you can use the APA, MLA, Harvard, and Chicago styles to format your papers.
Analytical essay APA format
Table of Contents
The APA is one of the most widely used formatting styles. When using this style, you ought to abide by the following requirements:
- Margins: Students have to use margins on every side of their papers and give them a one- inch measurement from every side of their essays
- Font: The style recommends using clearly legible fonts like the Times New Roman. However, students are free to use other legible fonts Calibri or Vernada. Whatever the type font, the size should be between 10 and12 points
- Spacing your lines: It is also required of students to double space all their lines across every assignment
- Aligning and indenting: Students are supposed to align their essays to the left to create even right margins or flush them to the right
- The active voice: Until lately, the APA forbad the use of the active voice in its formatting requirement. But as the academic world has evolved and adopted new standards, you can now use the active voice when writing your papers using this style
Analytical essay Chicago format
This section will share out some of guidelines to abide by as you format different sections of your papers using the Chicago style.
- Margins: Students are supposed to use a one-inch margin on every side of their papers
- Fonts: Scholars should use highly legible fonts like Times. The ideal size of these fonts should range between 10 and 12 points
- Line spacing: In the Chicago style, it is mandatory to double space all your lines in the every paper, from first to last
- Indenting: The style requires you begin your paragraphs with a ½ an inch indent from the beginning of the page
- Justifying: It is also mandatory for you to justify the text of your essays to the left
- Numbering: Every student is supposed to begin the numbering of their essays at their initial pages of their texts. These numbers need to be placed at the top right corners of their essays
- Paper printing: When your tutors require you to submit a printed copy of your assignment, confirm with them if they will need you to print on the two sides of the paper or just one
Analytical essay MLA format
Here are the formatting guidelines you need to comply with while formatting your essays using the MLA.
- Printing of papers: When your tutors request you to submit a printed copy of your papers, you are supposed to print them on white 8.5 x 11-inch sheets of paper
- Spacing your lines: You are supposed to double space all the lines of your paper to the end
- Font: The MLA demands that students use legible fonts like the Times New Roman. The ideal size that facilitates legibility is 10-12 points
- Spacing after punctuations: Students should leave out a single space after each period or other punctuation marks. The only exception is when instructors direct the opposite
- Margins: Every student is supposed to draft their papers with a one-inch spacing on every side of their assignments
- Indents: MLA requires every student to indent all opening lines in their paragraphs with a ½ an inch space from the left margin
- Page numbering: MLA demands of you to number every page in the upper right-hand corners, ½ an inch from the top using headers. However, you may forego this requirement if your tutors instruct you to
- Italics: Only use them in your essay’s titles when handling long works and when emphasizing critical points
- Endnotes: It is necessary to include them in your essays but on a separate page before your bibliography
Analytical essay Harvard format
When formatting your papers using Harvard, conform to these guidelines.
- Fonts: Use Times New Roman with a 10 to 12 point size to facilitate eligibility
- Title page: It is necessary to include a title page with your name, name of your paper, and that of your course
- Spacing your lines: Double-space all your texts except when making long citations
- Direct quotes: When quoting directly, distinguish the quotes with quotation marks
- Bibliography: List your sources alphabetically
Analytical essay citation
When referencing your work, you have the option of either quoting the author directly or paraphrasing their thoughts. You can also use citations whenever you find data, statistics, and relevant facts you need to corroborate your thesis statement. Additionally, you can utilize them when you use copyrighted images or charts.
With all these facts at your disposal, what further obstacles remain in your way to formatting excellence? The ball is in your court to optimize them and take your game to the next level.