Since academic writing is a skill that requires progressive learning to master, you need to take time and perfect yourself in all the principles that govern it. One of the pillars you need to pay attention to especially in your early college days is the formatting styles you need to style your ideas. In this our guide, we are going to look at the formatting requirements of the top four academic writing styles, namely, APA, MLA, Harvard, and Chicago. So, you need to keep calm and engage your learning gear to get all that you need to move your formatting to the next level of proficiency.
Synthesis essay Chicago format
Table of Contents
This style requires you to abide by the following rules:
- Margins: Use margins that are a single-inch spacing from every side of your assignment
- Font: It is mandatory to draft your papers using the New Times Roman script. Also, ensure that the font size is between 10 and12 points for the sake of better legibility
- Spacing your lines: You are required to double space all the lines in your papers
- Indents: When starting a new paragraph, it is necessary to leave a ½ an inch indent from the start of every page
- Numbering: Number your papers starting at the initial page of your essay. Also, place your numbers at the top right corners of your assignment
- Printing: It is also prudent to confirm with your tutor if he or she wants you to print the essay or not. If they do, you need to establish if they want you to print on one or both sides
Synthesis essay APA format
When using this style to format your academic assignments, it is expedient to pay attention to the following guidelines:
- Double space all the lines of your essays
- Use uniform margins measuring at least ½ an inch on all your essay’s sides
- All your pages need running heads at their top left to enable your readers to get an idea of your paper’s title
- Also, number your pages in the top right corners
- Use title pages that include critical details such as your name, your assignment’s title, and your school’s affiliation
- Give your essays clear titles that describe your essay’s content
- You are allowed to draft your titles on two lines but they should not exceed 12 words
- Towards the close of your essay, it is mandatory to list your citations in an alphabetical order of the names of the first authors. Moreover, it is necessary to double space them
- Indent every word that starts your paragraphs by ½ an inch
- Consult your professors regarding any component of your essays they want you to skip
Synthesis essay MLA format
When styling your essay using MLA, stick to these requirements.
- Title: Center your titles without underlining or bolding them. In addition, double space them from the text of your assignments without extra spacing
- Margins: Make them one inch without aligning the right margins
- Line spacing: Double space all your lines in the entire assignment
- Title pages: Use them in your class assignments only when your instructors suggest that you include them in your assignments since it is not a must to have them in every paper
Synthesis essay Harvard format
When you are styling your assignments using the Harvard style, it is necessary to follow all the requirements of the style. Listed below are some of the styling instructions you will need to abide by.
- Fonts: Every student writing their papers using this style will have to utilize the Times New Roman with a 10 to 12 point size to make them more legible
- Title page: This style requires learners to include title pages with their names, names of their papers, and those of their courses at the center of the pages
- Spacing your papers: When formatting your papers using the Harvard style, double space your lines throughout the essay unless when making lengthy citations. In this context , use single spacing and indent them
- Direct citations: When making direct quotes, surround them with quotation marks to distinguish them
- Bibliography: List your sources alphabetically, starting with the names of the first authors
Synthesis essay citation
Citing sources in your essays is critical for several reasons. First, it allows you to demonstrate that you took your time to research the things you write in your papers. Second, it allows you to avoid the trap of plagiarism by using other people’s thoughts without giving them the credit they deserve. Third, it helps you to present yourself as a student who respects the tenets of academic writing. Lastly, it plays a significant role in demonstrating to your readers and tutors that you have intellectual integrity in the way you handle your academic assignments you receive. So, you need to take citations seriously since they are not just going to help you earn better grades, but also, the respect and trust of the larger academic fraternity around you.
In closing, you can now see that mastering the usage of these formatting styles is not a special privilege preserved for a few chosen geeks. By abiding by the spirit and letter of this guide, you will be in a better position to take your game to the next level. So, what are you waiting for? Take action and soar above the clouds of mediocrity and infuse your papers with styling excellence.