Have you been facing challenges formatting your papers using various academic writing styles? If you answered “Yes,” then this guide is all you require to get yourself to the level of mastery in the usage of these styles. In our guide, we shall look at the best ways of using the APA, MLA, Harvard, and Chicago formatting styles to write your assignments. At the end, you will learn how to write different sections of your essays and format different components using these leading styles. We urge you to remain with our guide to discover more.
Descriptive essay Harvard format
Table of Contents
When utilizing the Harvard style in the formatting of your essays, it is needful to observe these guidelines:
- The preferred font of usage is the Times New Roman with a 10 to 12 point size even though using other equally legible fonts like Arial is still acceptable
- You should also include title pages that bear your name, that of your essay, and course. These details can appear at your page’s center.
- Remember to double-space every text except when making long quotes because in such cases you can single space and indent them
- When making direct citations, it is mandatory to distinguish them using quotation marks
- When writing your bibliography, list every source in an alphabetical order
Descriptive essay Chicago format
Here are the instructions you will need to follow when using Chicago to format your papers:
- Give them single-inch margins on all sides
- Utilize a font that is legible and with a size of between 10 and 12 points
- It is mandatory to double space your whole assignment
- When you start a paragraph, give it a 0.5 indent from the start of the page
- Justify the essay to the left
- Numbering your essays needs to start at the initial pages of your text and write them at the top right corner of your paper
- When printing your essay, it is advisable to confirm from your instructors before printing it on both sides of your sheets of paper
Descriptive essay MLA format
This is a leading style in drafting essays and quoting sources in nonscientific disciplines of academics.
Here is the best way for formatting your essays using this style:
- When submitting a printed copy, utilize white 8.5 x 11-inch sheets of paper
- Double-space all your lines in the essay
- Write your paper using legible fonts such as the Times New Roman with a 12-point size
- Leave out single space after all periods or any other punctuation marks except when your instructors tell you otherwise
- All margins in your essays need to be placed 1 inch on every side
- It is mandatory to indent every line that starts a paragraph 0.5 inches from the left margin
- Numbering every page in the upper right-hand corners 0.5 inches from the top using a header is also mandatory unless you tutor recommends otherwise
- Italicize all titles of long works in all your papers in cases where it is necessary to emphasize a point
- It is permissible to use an endnote on a separate page before your reference page
Descriptive essay APA format
The APA format has its own set of instructions to abide by as you use it in formatting your essays. Listed below are some of its requirements.
- Margins: It is necessary to utilize them on every side of your papers and give them a single inch measurement
- Font: It is essential to use legible fonts such as Times New Roman and make it at least 10-12 points large
- Spacing: It is mandatory to double-space your essays in your entire paper. But after punctuating a sentence using a comma or colon, it is essential to single space it. In addition, you need to double space it after every punctuation mark that ends a sentence.
- Aligning and indenting text: It is also mandatory to align your papers to the left to create an even right margin or flush it to the right
- Using the active voice: Formerly, you were not allowed to use the active voice. But following the changes that the APA has adopted, it is now okay to write using the active voice with phrases such as “we, our, ours” being accepted as a part of the formal requirements
Descriptive essay citation
Regarding the quotations of your descriptive essay, you can use whatever style your lecturers recommend you utilize in your assignment. Due to the limited scope of our guide, we will not look into all the styles we have covered in this guide. However, we shall take the Harvard style as an example. When citing using this style, you will use it in the reference list at the end of your paper and when making citations within your assignments. Here, you will have to list all your in-text references in the list at the end of your paper. In addition, you will have to reference them following an alphabetical order by the first author. Additionally, it is necessary to start your reference list on a separate page after your paper’s text and enumerate it accordingly.
You now have all the facts at your fingertips. The ball is now in your court to use these insights to advance your styling proficiency to the next level. Do not wait another day before you begin your journey to greater heights of success.